Friday, July 2, 2010

More Fair Finds

I am still furiously trying to find a place in my home for all my amazing fair finds but I wanted to take a minute to share with you this "tableau" I created on the island in my kitchen with some of my fair finds. This whole thing started out with a need to have fruit visible to my children so that they are tempted to reach for a healthy snack this summer instead of something else. I also needed easy access to dog treats for our pesky beagle, Lulu, who we are in the process of training. My reason for sharing this is with you is to show how easy it is to create something pretty and functional in your home for a song using things they you can find at just about any tag sale.

The dog treats are in the blue willow ($1) container and the fruit is (obviously) in the two bowls. Next, I added a 50 cent hand-painted tray, two picture  frames, an angel figurine, an iron candle stick, a crystal compote filled with flowers from my garden, and an engraved silver wine bucket used as a planter. Nothing cost me more than $5 and all these items are readily available at tag sales no matter where you live. 

Just get creative!  Look for unexpected ways to use things and don't let a little dirt or any imperfections stop you! The wine bucket was terribly pitted and tarnished when I found it but it was nothing a little Maas silver polish wouldn't fix. And some people may be turned off by the personalized engraving on the bucket but I chose to view it as charming. Who cares that I didn't attend Alouse and Roger's 25th Anniversary Fete!? The two-tier fruit basket was all rusted but for 25 cents I chose to take it home and give it a new lease on life with a little black spray paint.
It would be nice if I had actually put pictures in the frames before I posted this, huh? One of the frames is a Jay Strongwater frame that I scored for $2! Tag Sales are always heavy on frames. And I chose love that little cherub! It looks like something Mary Carol Garrity would have in her home, doesn't it?!
It makes me so happy to have flowers from my garden on display! Crystal pieces also seem to be abundant at tag sales.
Now, if only I could get my children to eat all this fruit before it goes bad!!! The fruit flies have already started to circle!

But seriously, with a little hunting, some pennies and elbow grease coupled with a little creativity you too can turn your very own tag sale finds into fun decorations for your home. Happy Hunting!

5 comments:

bevy said...

You have such a flair for finding the beauty in everything! As for the silver wine cooler, I think you need to create some fabulous story that happened at the 25th Anniversary Party! I will be waiting with bated breath!

Semi-Slacker Mom said...

You are so creative! But fruit flies are a boil on the butt of humanity. Where's that quote from?

Jo said...

What great finds! I'm known for picking things up because I like them but never know what to do with them once I get them home. I think I need to go next year.

Have a great weekend ~
Jo

PinkPolkadotAA said...

You are so creative, everything looks lovely!!

EntertainingMom said...

Great finds my friend! Love the tableau... if the fruit starts to get soft cook it! I toss old bananas into banana bread or into the freezer for smoothies. Peaches, plums, etc are wonderful in quick breads and muffins!

Or you can cut up the stone fruit, let it marinate in some triple sec for a while, and pour into a glass of champagne! Cheers!